Peniche was a small town with a small community, until the XV century. This small village was economically and administratively depended on the Village of Atouguia da Baleia, since this was considered one of the most important villages in the region.

In 1609, Peniche was considered a village, because it has become quite popular, due to its lands that were better and more fertile, so other communities moved to Peniche, and in the 1st of February of 1988, it became the City of Peniche.

The coast line is a significant part of the Portuguese territory, an area influenced by the action of the sea that requires a regular maintenance to preserve biodiversity. Through the years, Peniche has becoming more and more attractive and many falls in love with its landscapes, and others seek for activities that only the coastal area can offer them.

In this region, there are a lot of good beaches for those long days of sun and water sports and fishing activities. But, the agriculture also makes its stand. Over the years, Peniche had many and different communities that seek for its natural resources, developing agricultural activities and fishing activities, transforming and encouraging the economic development of Peniche. Nowadays, those activities remain equally influential in the Peniche economic.

The most and undoubtedly natural resource that stands out is the beach, its good conditions and climate and environmental conditions provided by the location of the territory, make the beaches in Peniche one of the most beautiful and wanted beaches in Portugal.


Peniche offers a variety of historical and cultural heritage, which together with the traditions and customs lived there. Currently, Peniche is recognized as the Capital of the Wave, due to its characteristics for surfing and the world surfing event - Rip Curl Pro. From a fishing village, Peniche has evolved into a modern city, whose bid meets the surf lovers interested in the history of fishing and all related activities.

Building Heritage of Peniche:

  • Municipal Museum – is located in Peniche Fortress, ordered the construction in 1557 by King João III, and concluding by D. João IV in 1645, and in 1938 was listed as a National Monument. The Fortress of Peniche has been used in various ways over the years, from military plaza in 1897; shelter for refugees of Boers from South Africa in the early twentieth century; during the 1st World War, hosted by German and Austrian prisoners; Prison Policy was during Salazar's order, between 1934 and 1974; This year also welcomed Portuguese families arrived from overseas colonies; and in 1984, housed the Municipal Museum, up to today. Having ten thousand works and most of these are on permanent display. This museum contains collections related to prehistory, Underwater Archaeology, Fishing and Naval Construction, Architect Paulino Montês, Memoirs of Peniche, Bobbin Lace and the Antifascist Resistance.
  • Peniche Fortress – during the Middle Ages until the early fifteenth century, the island at the mouth of the river São Domingos would found the town of Atouguia, an important cluster in the region. However, with the gradual silting of the river channel between Peniche and Atouguia, and in 1438, founded the port of Peniche, during the D. Duarte reign. With the development of this new port along the fifteenth century, the Crown noted the need to erect a fortification to protect the village. A project initiated by King João III, starting with a castle or fortress, in the Peniche peninsula. Although interest in the building of the fortress has only arisen in the first half of the sixteenth century, the design of advanced only stronghold in 1557, and Don Luís de Ataíde responsible for the work, getting terminated a year later - this event is seen in the inscription above the door of the Baluarte Redondo. Only in 1589, the architect of the Crown Filippo Terzi, continued construction of the fortress, since, with the departure of Don Luís de Ataíde to India, the works were discontinued in 1567. However, this fort was completed in mid seventeenth century, during the Restoration, when the Crown has reshaped the defensive system of the coast. Therefore, in 1642, there was the beginning of a project to expand the fortification, having an irregular start plan, bounded by walls with polygonal bastions and a second defensive line. In 1645, this work would be completed. The fortress would continue to play an important role in defending the line of the Atlantic coast for centuries, being fundamental in the Napoleonic wars and the Liberal Wars.
  • Fountain of Rosário – one of the most important points of the water supply of the city of Peniche, since the population has always struggled with water shortages. Unknown to its actual origin, the possibility exists that has been built in the sixteenth century, a time that saw improvements across the country, attracting, driving and water supplies to the neediest populations. Due to an inscription on the arch to the interior of the set, it is recognized that this power has been restored in the first half of the eighteenth century. This it is a fountain of deep sea diving such that necessitated the construction of a ramp with a steep slope. Subsequently, the slope of this ramp was attenuated through four steps to the entrance courtyard, which surrounds the source. The quadrangle is vaulted, with a wide enough that the old carts could make a U-turn and go up the ramp to return to the village, where the houses and supplied many urbanites establishments.
  • Atouguia da Baleia Castle – with the gradual silting of São Domingos, the location of Atouguia da Baleia possession of a castle overlooking a major port due to its sheltered position in relation to the ocean. With its natural conditions, Atouguia was chosen as the county seat medial, during the twelfth century. In 1158, the "homestead of Tougia" came into the possession of King Guilherme de Cornibus, who assisted King Afonso Henriques during the conquests of 1147. From this donation and efforts of town and regional planning, which rose this castle. Forty years later, at the time when King Sancho I passed a new law, this castle was mentioned as well as the need to add watchmen scattered throughout the Atouguia, to improve the defensive system. It is unknown how it would have been the original structure of the castle, being supposed that the remaining structures were after the twelfth century. Thus, it is assumed that the fortress adapt romantic assumptions, with a fence to enclose the patio and in the center, in isolation, stood a keep. Today, the fortress is represented by a section of wall, the oval lengthening, strengthened by a rectangular tower, the Northwest. In the sixteenth century, King João III ordered it started the process of restoring a time when the Portuguese coast was being threatened by pirates and privateers. D. Luís de Ataíde recognized the secondary value of the fortress, benefiting the harbor and the castle of Peniche, which transferred real money. Thus began the process of transferring powers to Peniche, being continued in 1759, when the Marquês de Pombal ordered the Earl of Atouguia run by participatory alleged assassination attempt on Joseph. The November 6, 1836, Atouguia da Baleia was extinguished. During this period, the castle and the defensive system of Atouguia da Baleia didn’t had any kind of restoration or redevelopment and its lands were privatized or conquered by the river of São Domingo.
  • Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Guia – A Mannerist chapel of the late seventeenth century. Its façade has a portal and a rectangular windows topped by a gable, adorned with pinnacles, accompanied by a bell tower north. Since its interior consists of a nave covered wood and barrel vault in the chancel. In the high altar, is highlighted the altar and two side altars in gilt, a national style. This interior features is the colors and scenery of decorative elements, resulting in an eighteenth-century campaign.
  • Atouguia da Baleia Cruise – located in the town of Coimbrã, this cruise is one of the landmarks of equity interests of the former term Atouguia da Baleia. In this lies a description which refers to its creator, a man of importance in the village of Atouguia, in the early sixteenth century, "ANTONIO DA COSTA SEND IN HIS DEVOTION IN THE YEAR 1525". A work consists of two parts, the cruise and a small temple. His cross is on a cylindrical shaft and vegetal capital, in which is inscribed the legend of epigraphic commemoration of its construction.
  • Cape Carvoeiro Lighthouse – located in Cape Carvoeiro, this beacon of square tower 27 feet high has a range of 15 miles. This was sent to build, together with other lighthouses by a pombalino permit 1758, that later founded the Service and Lighthouses in Portugal. Starting to work in 1790, this lighthouse is one of the oldest of the Portuguese coast. Currently, this place works a station DGPS Carvoeiro, founded in December 2002, the frequency 311.5 kHz.
  • Consolation Beach Fort – located in Atouguia da Baleia, it was founded in 1641 by Don Jerónimo de Ataíde, Earl of Atouguia and lordship of Peniche. The purpose of fortification was to strengthen the defense line of the cove Peniche, can cross fire with the strength of the village. The construction work of fortification ended in 1645, and years later, in 1665, the structure of the platform was expanded. However, with the great 1755 earthquake, the drum part that was facing the sea, eventually crumble. In the early nineteenth century, this fort once suffered more expansion works since the year 1800 has inserted a battery that stand about 15 canhoeiras, for the defense of the cove. Fortification of Consolation Beach develops in starry planimetry, having four triangular bastions and five platforms, where were the fire-mouths, and is surrounded by a moat, to which your access is via a bridge. In 1947, the fort was deactivated military functions, being occupied by a summer camp and in 1974, the headquarters was installed Recreation Association Club of Fort Consolation.
  • São João Baptista Fort/ Berlenga Fort – in the early sixteenth century, Berlenga Island was occupied by a community of Jerónimos monks who built the Abbey of Mercy Berlenga in order to assist the shipwrecked. However, the attacks corso these friars departed the island, and in the seventeenth century, João IV sends erect a fort on the island, aiming to strengthen the protection of the citadel of Peniche. Thus was built the Fort of São João Baptista on an island, connected to the mainland by a bridge of masonry, a project engineer Mateus Couto. In the year 1666, with the attack of a Spanish squadron, which aimed to abduct the queen D. Maria Francisca of Savoy on arrival in Portugal at the time of his marriage to Alfonso VI, the construction of Berlenga Fort was interrupted. During the French invasion, this fort served as a base for British troops, later being devastated by the French. In 1821, King João VI ordered the restoration of the fortress they built the chapel destroyed by the French. During the Liberal Wars, the fort served as a base for troops Pedro to conquer the fortress of Peniche, which was occupied by miguelistas troops. After 14 years, the Berlengas Fort was unarmed and was gradually abandoned. In the twentieth century, in the 50s, the Fortification of São João Baptista was restored by the General Directorate for National Buildings and Monuments, and then adapted the space for the inn.
  • Tribute to Rendilheira - the city of Peniche is strongly related rents Bilro since the seventeenth century. It is celebrated the day of Rendilheira.
  • Tribute to the Men of the Sea - a statue created to honor countrymen Peniche who devoted their lives to the sea.
  • Nossa Senhora dos Rémedios Church – relatively close to Cape Carvoeiro, this building comes from the seventeenth century, according to tradition was built where they found an image of Nossa Senhora, hidden in a cave, which previously existed at the place, from this time began -if the cult of Nossa Senhora dos Rémedios. Years later, with the annual pilgrimages that took place at that location, the need arises to build a chapel. You can find this tile depicting episodes from the life of the Virgin. Outside the chapel, there is a square bordered by houses, which remained the hermit and the stewards, the inns and stables. In 1996, this chapel was considered as a Public Interest by former IGESPAR, IPPAR. Annually in the month of October, in this church will take place on a pilgrimage.
  • Misericórdia of Peniche Church – this goes back to the sixteenth century, attached to the old hospital of Santa Casa da Misericórdia of Peniche. This has a nave decorated with tiles of XVI century painting event of the Gospel and 55 oil painted coffered ceiling that allude to scenes from the New Testament Book of Acts and Revelation panels. It is still possible to observe the tomb of Don Luís de Ataíde - 3rd Earl of Atouguia da Baleia and Viceroy of India. This church was considered as a Public Interest.
  • Nossa Senhora da Ajuda Church – one of the three most interesting churches in baroque style in Peniche, being formed by the Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, the church of Nossa Semhora dos Remédios and the church of Nossa Senhora da Ajuda. This lies within the national models of churches with a coating of tile panels, interconnected with gilt and painted ceilings, but this church there is the Virgin and the invocations of the three sororities of the Nossa Senhora da Ajuda, the São Pero Gonçalves Telmo and the Blessed Sacrament. Unknown the exact date of its construction, it already existed when the institution of the brotherhood of São Pero Gonçalves Telmo, in 1505. In 1569, an intervention remodeling, witnessed the bases of the pilasters split the main door was made. Later, there was the remodeling of the interior of the temple: coated patterned tiles, the ceiling of coffins found in the chancel containing an attribute Baltazar Gomes Figueira and the altarpiece was built between 1680 and 1690, with golden in 1706/1707. The present temple comes from an intervention initiated in 1716, with the alms of the faithful, who remodeled especially the interior, which contrasts with the outside scenographically with a tea architecture. During this period, the ship was increased in order to withstand the high choir, increasing its disproportionate length. The conclusion of these structures occurred in 1719, advancing to the interventions in the side chapels, under the guidance of master jeweled John Matthew. The tile panels lines much of the cloths of the temple, showing episodes from the life of the Virgin.
  • Nossa Senhora da Conceição Church – situated in the parish of Atouguia da Baleia, its construction started on May 10, 1694, ending April 9, 1698, at the behest of the Holy House of Mercy, and its authorship attributed to the architect João Antunes. Funding to build the church came from the alms of the people and figures of Portuguese nobility of the sixteenth century as Queen Maria Sofia of Neuburgo, second wife of Pedro II of Portugal. The church is set in a Mannerist and Baroque building containing a hall, a chapel, sacristy with two atrium, two quadrangular towers and a porch that accompanies the ship, these spaces are covered by domes. The ship contains a high choir, along with two pulpits, two holy water fonts, format with a ladle, and two side altars with carved polychrome altarpieces. The image of the patron saint, Nossa Senhora da Conceição, lies within a canopy. A vestry there is a great chest of black wood, lining the wall, it is also possible to observe a source with sink and hanger, marble. The church was considered a Public Interest by former IGESPAR, IPPAR.
  • São Leonardo Church – located in Atouguia da Baleia, this mother church of Roman-Gothic style, was built in the twelfth century. According to tradition, this arose from a Gothic temple and Moorish mosque. Outside of this church, you can find the bell tower and a façade with a portal. While involved with Gothic features also stand out Manueline elements like the door of the sacristy, other Mannerist elements such as tile flooring and side chapels. Once inside the church, we highlight the pointed arches and cylindrical columns. Its roof is composed of panels depicting scenes from the Old Testament. According to legend this roof was supported by whale bones which gave the coast in the sixteenth century, and the rate of change of the toponym village. A bone of him is inside the church, in a state of petrifaction. Even inside, there are several pieces of art, like the bas-relief of the Nativity, with the front wall and the crib of seeps Machado de Castro.
  • São Pedro Church – a building of the sixteenth century, in the parish of St. Peter, is a building divided into three parts, two columns and the middle one with a narthex surmounted by a circular arc door. Its bell tower is on the right. Since its interior consists of two aisles and a central, this the chancel stands in honor of São Pedro, along with several frames that mirror some moments in the life of the saint. The altars in Baroque gilded carvings praising the Lord of Bonfim, Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagem and the São Pedro de Alcântara. In the sacristy there is a Baroque painting of the Holy Family, coming from the late seventeenth century.
  • Walls and City Gates of Peniche – Peniche town is surrounded by walls partially sixteenth century. These walls defended the city, along with the Fort Consolation and the Forte de São João Baptista Berlengas. However, during the Napoleonic wars proved weak.
  • Palace of Serra d'El Rei (Dom Pedro I Palace) – built by King Pedro I in the mid-fourteenth century, this group played a secondary role in the context of low-medieval royal residences, being constantly overlooked in the work that hung over the royal palace of the late Middle Ages. In the fifteenth century, on the initiative of King D. Duarte, the palace suffered a partial reform, being coated Gothic materials. Later, this set was expanded to their spaces were tripled in practice. In the year 1588, after the completion of the expansion works of the palace was bought by the Counts of Atouguia, making it his residence. Over the centuries, the palace and the town declined in importance. After the confiscation of the property of the counts, the monument has stalled in the neoclassical revival, degrading with the years.
  • Pillory Atouguia da Baleia – Atouguia da Baleia, its name comes from two different historical periods. This ancient seaport before the silting of the region, was first mentioned in the twelfth century, referring to a town of Tauria - called by the large amount of wild bulls in this region - that the word originated from the ancient Latin of Atouguia. In 1148, D. Afonso Henriques donated Tauria the two French crusaders, Roberto and Guilherme Le Corni, who participated in the conquest of Lisbon. In result of this donation, the first charter arises, in 1167, later confirmed by King Sancho I, who even offers the new charter in 1195. However, in 1526, an episode of the appearance of whales on the beaches of this area, would evoke the name of the village. The bones of the animal would be stored in the mother church of the village. The first pillory this region had been erected after his landlord move to King Dinis, who was aware of the works of the castle. Since this was the most important port in the kingdom due to its privileged position in the defense of the coast, which helped in the development of shipbuilding, evident in the presence of Manuel Pessanha, Genoese, first admiral of Portugal, who was hired by the king to marine organization. The current pillory is a sixteenth-century work, erected after the grant of the New Charter from D. Manuel, in 1510. In a quadrangular base with three steps (although they were originally four) builds the base of the spine with a cylindrical bole divided by a ring torsade. This holds a faceted capital, where you can see the heraldry of the Counts of Atouguia, chopped due to the threat that these provided the king's life, destroying plowed. This set is topped by a pine cone decorated with helical grooves interspersed with rows of balls. The pillory is classified as a Public Interest in 1933.
  • Touril of Atouguia da Baleia - dating from the eighteenth century, it was used as a stage for bullfighting, most likely by the royal family or members of the nobility who were staying at the Palace of Serra d'El Rei. In this structure it is possible to find stone pillars which mark was once the arena, on the floor, near the church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição. The Touril of Atouguia da Baleia is one of the few existing examples of this kind in Portugal.


Peniche positioned itself has the Wave Capital, due to its exceptional conditions that its beaches offer to the practice of water sport as surf, bodyboard or even diving. One of the most known beaches is the Supertubos, the stage of one of the great events in the surfing world. This beach is the ex-libris of the world surfers.

The limestone cliffs border the Peniche Peninsula tell us a history that endures in time since 20 millions of year of geologic evolution, since the time dinosaurs dominated the continental zone and the Iberian Peninsula was very close to the northern portion of the American continent. The limestone sequence variability and the conditions of the outcrops are the base for the exploration of the geologic and architectural heritage of Peniche.

The Berlengas Archipelago is situated about 16 km from Peniche, this granite block is divided in two parts, the Berlenga Grande (two thirds of the archipelago) and the Ilha Velha, that is separated from the bigger part because of the sea erosion, together with the small islands Estelas and Fardilhões-Forcadas. The Berlenga Grande is the only one where is possible to live and visit. In this, there is a submarine valley with more than four thousand meters deep, a polygonal fort, a camping zone, the beach of Carreiro do Mosteiro with forty meters of length. With all the features of the fauna and flora, landscapes and natural sights, the Berlengas Archipelago was nominated as a Natural Reserve in 1981. 

Reference in